Simply put, cycling is incredible!
It is good for your health, your mind, your spirit, your city, and your environment. Whether you cycle with friends on the weekend or are a die-hard commuter day in and day out, you know exactly what it is like to be on the roads with motorists around you. Most of the time cars can't even see you, you blend right into the surroundings.
Respect My Lane was formed out of the desire to increase the safety of those riding on city streets. Founded in Boston by an avid cyclist, Respect My Lane works closely with cyclists to design and manufacture apparel and accessories that meet the needs of the everyday city rider. We are just getting started and hope that you will join us on this journey!
In 2017 we launched on Kickstarter, an awesome crowdfunding platform that lets startups with great ideas (like reflective backpack covers) jumpstart their production. See our campaign video below:
We want to make cycling safer with our products as well as our profits. We have partnered with the League of American Bicyclists to support the advocacy work that they do on a national level. To learn more about the League visit here
About the founder:
The company was founded by Michael Algra, an avid cyclist, while completing his MBA in Boston. Originally from Calgary, Canada, Michael was surprised at how dangerous riding on the road can and how difficult it is for cars to see cyclists on the road.
Instead of just complaining about it he decided to do something about it by creating Respect My Lane. Michael is passionate about cycling and exposing more people to this life-changing activity. Some of Michael's recent (and more crazy) experience on the bike include:
- Commuting year round through the icy winters of Canada on a 10-speed Norco
- Touring across Germany along the river Elbe on a mountain bike with a blown front fork
- Importing a second-hand Specialized Hardrock into Madagascar and riding it with the locals
- Buying a brand new $30 bike in Shantou, China and watching it rust in a matter of weeks
- Riding along the beautiful western coast of Australia in Perth
- Surviving the daily commute amongst Boston drivers from Brighton to the Harvard campus
Mark James is the founder of Envision which provides branding & marketing expertise to leading organizations and institutions. He is an avid cyclist in Boston and provides much-needed advice and expertise to the Respect My Lane team. Learn more about Envision here.